In order to be able to send and receive cryptocurrencies using your Ledger Nano S, you must first initialize your device. Once initialized you will need to download the Ledger Manager application, along with the Ledger Bitcoin Wallet, Ledger Ethereum Wallet, or Ledger Ripple Wallet (more information about cryptocurrencies and wallets compatibility on this link) using the instructions below:
1. the Ledger Manager: go to this page in your Chrome browser, and click on "Available on Chrome" to download and install it.
2. the Ledger Bitcoin Chrome app: go to this page in your Chrome browser, and click on "Available on Chrome" to download and install it.
3. the Ledger Ethereum Chrome app: go to this page in your Chrome browser, and click on "Available on Chrome" to download and install it.
4. the Ledger Ripple app: go to this page , and click on "Download Now" to install Ledger Live and manage your XRP.
Once the Ledger Bitcoin Wallet (or Ledger Ethereum Wallet or Ledger Ripple Wallet) Chrome application is installed on your computer:
1. Connect your Ledger Nano S to a USB port on your computer and enter your PIN code
2. Launch your Ledger Bitcoin, (Ethereum, or Ripple) Wallet Chrome application
3. Open the cryptocurrency app of your choice on your Ledger Nano S (downloaded from your Ledger Manager application onto your Ledger Nano S)
Then you can see your account and manage your coins. If you want to manage other coins or applications with your Nano S, you can manage your applications through the Ledger manager. See here how to use it.
How to transfer Bitcoins to your Ledger Wallet
When you want to receive coins, you just have to provide your address to the payer. Your Ledger Nano S does not need to be connected as the transaction is made on the blockchain, not on the device itself. Next time you connect your wallet, it will synchronize to the blockchain to display all of your past operations and your balance.
To receive cryptocurrencies on your Ledger Wallet you will need to locate your Bitcoin (or Ether, Ripple, etc.) address. To find your Bitcoin address follow the instructions listed below:
1. Connect your Ledger device
2. Enter your PIN code
3. Open the Bitcoin application on your device
4. Launch your Bitcoin Chrome application on your computer
5. Click on "Receive", a popup window opens
6. Copy the "Bitcoin address" which is displayed
7. Paste this address into the send/receiving address of the Bitcoin wallet that currently holds your coins
8. Verify that you have the correct address as sending cryptocurrencies to the wrong address could result in the loss of the coins
Your Ledger Bitcoin wallet generates a new address each time you want to receive a payment, thanks to the Hierarchical Deterministic (HD) support. Each address generated by your wallet is yours forever, you can use them several times or just once at your convenience, it won't cause problems although it may be safer to use each address only once.
Check out this article to learn more about Ledger and the blockchain ecosystem.
How to send a Bitcoin payment from my Nano S to a different wallet
1. Connect your Ledger Nano S
2. Enter your PIN code
3. Open the Bitcoin app on your Nano S (right click)
4. Launch your Ledger Bitcoin (Ethereum, Ripple) Wallet Chrome application on your computer
5. Click on "Send", and a popup window will open
6. Fill in the required fields: amount, recipient address (you can paste or scan), level of fees
7. Click on the "Send" button
8. Your Nano S requires your manual consent to authenticate this transaction: press the right button (above the "V" check icon) to confirm and initiate your transaction once you have verified the details of your transaction are right and wait until your Chrome app displays "validated"
9. Your transaction is validated and will be tracked on the Blockchain as soon as it is confirmed by miners in accordance with Bitcoin protocol. While waiting for this confirmation, your Ledger device can be disconnected as your transactions are tracked on the Blockchain. These transactions will be synchronized on your wallet when you open it.